Wednesday 9 October 2013

One Happy Ending

Ca-r-ma's mandate with the Canada Revenue Agency identifies us as a TNR group. Placement is secondary, but placement has always been part of what we do.   Orphaned and at-risk kittens are taken into foster care, vaccinated, treated for worms, fleas etc, spayed/neutered and offered for adoption.

Recent elections changed our committee chairs, but until the end of 2012, Marlah is in charge of trapping and I am a ca-r-ma trapper. Marlah tells me where to trap, but usually she doesn't know much about the colony. I get that information from the caregivers, and Cathy and I go out to get the cats/kittens.

 In the past couple of weeks, we have caught...or more accurately, the caregivers themselves have caught....two female cats that are very obviously non-feral and have been owned. We know that, not only because of their friendly behavior, but also because both are spayed. One is also de-clawed, the mysterious tabby lady of my previous post. 

Having spent two weeks looking for the owner of the one that is not de-clawed, a pretty little grey tortie, I decided it was time to find her an owner.  The people feeding her can't keep her because their elderly cat does not like her at all  and we don't want her to spend the winter outdoors. I put her on kijiji and on ca-r-ma's facebook page.  I also sent the tortie to Natalie, who looks after the website, to have her posted for adoption.These are both great cats, but adults are always hard to place, especially at the time of year when hundreds of cute little kittens are still available.

Not to worry! :)   The good people of Moncton have not let me down. I have had several offers to adopt both cats and the tortie went to a good home.   I am sure the mysterious lady will also be placed easily if the owner is not found.

 I think ca-r-ma may have one or two other adult cats that are in need of adoption.  I know Sharon had one she called Casper (photo below) and somebody told me Simba's sister has been returned.   (Simba is a wonderful little guy who had serious medical issues and was adopted by Kim.)  Once I have found the owner or found a home for my second refugee, I will refer anyone who contacts me to Kim in case there are cats she needs to place.




1 comment:

  1. I heard from Natalie that she was not able to put the photo on the web page right away. She just lost a one of her cats and was understandably upset. It is tragic: the cat was only four but if Natalie had not found him he would have died much younger without having known four years of love. Natalie did put Eloise on the web page once she felt able to function again, but Eloise was already adopted.

    ReplyDelete