Friday 25 October 2013

The Last Kittens

Late yesterday the caregiver from one of our colonies called to say she had the kittens.  These kittens were born in early September and are now eight weeks old, old enough to leave the mom.  The caregivers' children have been playing with them and they are well socialized.  Kelly has been standing by for the last several days in case no other foster home was offered, so I put her on kitten alert for this morning.  

At 7:15 am I was at the colony.  The caregivers' two girls were waiting for the school bus....I can't believe children so young have to get a bus that early....and gave me the kittens.  I could see it was hard for them to say good-bye and I promised the kittens will find good homes and be loved forever.  In general, I am not a fan of young children having kittens; both parties can get injured if the children are not taught to handle the kittens carefully.  These two youngsters are exceptions, however.  The were very good with the older kittens Cathy and I caught earlier this year at the colony and even helped with the trapping. 

Finding good homes for these kittens is a promise I know I can keep.  Just look at the first photos: 

The white one has a grey spot on the top of his head that doesn't show in the photo.  He is a boy and the grey and white one is a girl.  Kelly had not named them yet.

The little cuties went to the vet and the boy volunteered to give blood for the feluk test. He was very brave, and got a bright green band-aid.  Then they both got Revolution in case they have fleas, roundworm or heart worm. I checked the ears; no sign of ear mites.

 At Kelly's place the kittens have the back bedroom all to themselves and Kelly had it all set up for them.  Canned food was offered mixed with a bit of kibble and both kittens waded in.....literally.......


No comments:

Post a Comment